Cannabidiol or CBD has been a hot topic for decades. It presents many beneficial properties, and some studies are backing it up. Hence, CBD has secured a stable position in the industry of food and drinks. And with the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, the hemp and CBD industries were given a revival.
One of the latest CBD products starting to trend is CBD beverages. This new breed of healthy drinks is making waves in both the healthcare and food sectors. But is it all just hype? And are CBD-infused drinks ideal for you?
To answer these questions, you need to first know what CBD exactly is. So in this article, we’ll take a look at the health properties of CBD and what you can expect from CBD beverages. This will help you better understand what these drinks are and how you can take them properly.
What Is CBD and Why Is It So Popular?
One of the reasons why cannabidiol is so popular is because of the potential benefits it presents. CBD beverages fall under the healthy food category. In some instances, they’re also considered as an excellent natural alternative to alcohol and opioids since they offer a feel-good effect.
However, it’s essential to keep in mind that CBD and marijuana are two different things. So those who plan to take cannabidiol-based products expecting to get ‘high’ are up for disappointment. Still, some users report lower anxiety levels.
CBD, like THC, is one of the most prevalent cannabinoids you can find in cannabis plants. But since THC has psychoactive effects, it is not widely used in food and drinks.
Before, CBD ingestion was only through tinctures or oils. Today, people are getting more creative and have discovered several ways to take it.
Because numerous scientific studies are proving that CBD has plenty of health benefits to offer, producers are even more confident. As a result, we’re now looking at a multi-billion dollar industry.
Aside from food and drinks infused with CBD, the cosmetics and drug industries are also well on its way at harnessing its power for treating various health conditions.
Why Is It Important to Extract CBD From the Cannabis Plant Instead of Just Adding the Plant Itself to the Drink?
It’s vital to extract CBD from the cannabis plant to bring out the many health benefits of cannabidiol. In comparison to concentrated CBD extract, mixing raw cannabis to a drink will have little to no effect on your body. Plus, the taste will not be pleasant.
Besides, your body can only absorb cannabinoids if they are decarboxylated. And heat is one of the requirements for decarboxylating to be successful. Thereby, the extraction process of CBD is done to separate the necessary cannabinoid elements that are absorbable, safe, and beneficial for your body.
Additionally, raw cannabis frequently plays host to several microbes. Not properly extracting and purifying them can harm your health instead of improving it.
How Is CBD Infused in Beverages?
The majority of the infusing processes of CBD in beverages depend on the kind of drink itself. Some will have a better taste if infused with CBD oil, whereas others need an infusion of CBD tincture.
CBD oils blend well with foamy beverages or those that have a head like sodas and beers.
Meanwhile, tinctures are ideal for drinks that are not fizzy or foamy like cocktails and other alcoholic beverages.
CBD is quite versatile so that you can add it into almost all kinds of beverages, from cold coffees and herbal teas to flavored waters and alcoholic wines.
Different CBD Beverages Available on the Market Today
CBD beverages rose to popularity in 2018. Since then, they’ve been a favorite CBD product worldwide. Both CBD aficionados and manufacturers are now infusing it into a wide array of drinks, which include the following:
- Coconut water
- Sparkling water
- Lemon water
- Energy drinks
What Are the Advantages of Taking CBD-Infused Beverages?
Here are some notable advantages of taking CBD in the form of drinks:
- They taste good. Most people do not particularly enjoy how sublingual CBD oils and tinctures taste. By infusing a beverage with a few drops of premium CBD oil or tincture, you will be able to get the CBD dose you want and not have to deal with the unpleasant taste and smell.
- The effect lasts longer. Sublingual CBD or taking it through vaping may provide you with faster results. Nonetheless, they won’t last long since it goes through your bloodstream. Meanwhile, CBD beverages go through your digestive system. This means that it will most likely stay there longer. As a result, the effect you need will be produced gradually over an extended period.
- You can easily DIY your beverages. It’s easy to craft CBD coffee brews using CBD isolate powder or oil. Also, there are many CBD recipes available online to help you.
- No prescription is needed. You can purchase CBD drinks without the need to get a prescription.
- Get an accurate dose. CBD beverages usually have labels where you can find the CBD dose they contain. This is a convenient way of getting the right amount of CBD your body needs instead of measuring it on your own using a dropper.
I’m a Technical and Creative freelance writer with extensive knowledge of WordPress and Shopify. I work with companies on building their brand, optimizing their website, and providing them with rich content. I also run a local travel agency with my family. In my free time, I love reading books, exploring the unknown, playing with my two adorable dogs, and watching K-dramas.